I bought my Magic on plan with Vodafone Oz. Its the 32B hardware version with 126.96.36.199I baseband. These are the resources I used to get root access, and then to install the latest CyanogenMod v4.0.2. Download all the files first, verify their md5sum's and copy them onto the SD card:
- Get root access using method 1 from this wiki.
- Install Cyanogen's pimped out recovery image from here. Cyanogen's recovery image allows updates to be applied from any zip file on the SD card.
- Boot the recovery image by hold home while powering on. From the menu perform a nandroid backup and then a factory reset.
- Install the latest CyanogenMod from here.
- Optionally repartition the SD card with a 512MB ext2/3/4 partition. Apps2SD will automatically move installed apps onto the SD card.